Weight Loss Advice: How to Stay Motivated | Mind Over Weight Author Dr. Ian Smith


Weight Loss Advice


18 months ago, I had knee surgery and I gained over 25 pounds out on disability. I lost about 12 of that. I still need to lose at least another 10 or so based on the injury I had. But I retired and now when my granddaughter is over I'm not exactly looking to get up and go to the gym to lose the additional 10 pounds so that I don't have to have further knee surgery. 

How can I incentivize myself to go past that? 

First of all, good on her that she went through an injury and she put that weight on because she wasn't as active anymore but she's already taken half of it off so good for her. Yeah, and first of all, it's great. But here's a common problem. People realize that they need to lose a little more weight and they don't have the incentive or the motivation and that's very common. So in the book, I talk about how you find your motivation, how you keep your motivation, 

how do you recapture the motivation?

Because we lose our motivation. 
But I want to show you something too. We also talk about milestones, small milestones. So let's walk over here. Okay, what do we got? Alright.
So people say, okay I wanna lose 10 more pounds. 
And then they say, I wanna lose it by in two weeks. Well, listen, we have to be realistic. So what I like to do is I say, form yourself a little chart of your weight loss. So let's say we're gonna take five weeks to lose these 10 pounds. But you're not gonna lose the same amount every week. Some weeks you may not lose anything. So build yourself a little chart, and print out a little calendar. Let's say week one, which is typically the best week for people, let's say you lose 3 pounds in a week. Good start. Let's say you lose two pounds in week two. Then week three, you lose no pounds.
That's okay because you know what?
As long as you didn't gain weight, 
you're still ahead of the game. That's right. And then, you make like two pounds, and then last week you may push out, you get to your 10 pounds. The idea is that people worry about the big goal and they don't worry about the small milestones. Then when you worry about the small milestones-- If you celebrate every step of the road, instead of the end of the trail, right? 100% You stay more positive. Because success, in the book I say, success begets more success. When you hit that first three, you're excited, I'm gonna get those next two, and that's how it has to work. And you know, Ian has also made a point several times on this show over the years, that if you do go back to a fitness program where you're building muscle especially, muscle weighs more than fat. You can also make it about your fitness, your waist measurements, how you feel, and how your clothes feel. It's not always about the weight. The number, yes, it's called NSVs, non-scale victories. Was I able to exercise as much as I wanted?
Did I stay away from fast food this week?
Things that you scored victories on 
outside the bathroom scale are extremely important. So make your list of NSVs also, and the book kind of gives you little charts on how you can do this at home.

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.